Maruti Suzuki is currently working hard to resolve the labour issues. The company has planned to launch 20 new products in the India market in the next 5 years which includes some new models and facelifts of existing models.
One car which Maruti is not talking about is the Jimny SUV. Well the Jimny is present in India in the form f Gypsy which was launched in 1985, 26 years ago. The Gypsy has got some minor updates in the fooling years but not a serious makeover.
Long live the Indian Military which is still keeping this model alive by buying a number of Gypsies ever year to traverse the hilly regions of the Himalaya.
Maruti Suzuki displayed the Jimny SUV at the 2010 Delhi auto expo and there were a lot of rumours of the mini SUV being launched in India. We do feel its time Maruti does consider this model seriously. Here are a few reasons we feel the SUV does make sense for India:
The mini SUV segment is still in its nascent stage and a product for the leader could only help to make the buyers look at the segment in a more serious manner.
- Current only Premier offers the Rio, No much competition
- Mahindra, Premier and Skoda are planning to launch models in this segment
- Jimny has a length of 3,645mm which qualifies it under the sub-4 metre category
- A 1.3 Multijet from Fiats stable could only help to see the SUV clock high sales
- Customers are now looking for mini SUV which can also be used for weekends off roading
So Maruti Suzuki what are you exactly waiting for, when are we getting the Jimny?